Monday, May 16, 2011

How Smoking Gave Me Cancer (And Everything Else Did Too)

I spent the better part of today doing some research into tobacco smoking.  I guess I was looking for a reason to quit.  Why exactly I started is a topic for another time, but it will suffice to say that it probably wasn't the most informed decision I've ever made.

We can pretty much agree that smoking is not something that's postive for your health.  Those stupid commercials seem to put it at least on par with being caught in the fall out radius of a nuclear blast.  I'm pretty sure that's just a little exaggeration on their part.  Regardless, it's obvious smoking doesn't increase your life expectancy.  I'm not going to go into that becuase in all honesty it's the least of my concerns. 

So, we get around to the only thing I was really looking at to begin with which are the economic costs of smoking.  This information seems to go around and around.  Different groups presenting different data sets.  For instance, it's said there are additional health costs placed upon non-smokers.  On the opposite end, smokers die earlier then non-smokers thus never collecting the social security and such they've paid into.  There was a ton of other things, but I couldn't find anything to motivate myself here either.  Honestly, the money I waste on cigarettes seems fully justified to me because I enjoy smoking.

After all that research, I couldn't find a single reason to coax myself into putting down that sweet, sweet nicotine.  I suppose I'll just have to make up some reasons I'm sure it's the right thing to do.

1.  I will feel healthier.  I hate randomly feeling like I can't breathe.  That definitely needs to go.

2.  I will have more money.  Obviously this isn't certain, but wouldn't that be neat if instead of making me pay to smoke people would pay me to not smoke?  I'll have to look into that. 

3.  Everyone will leave me alone about quitting.  I suppose we can say, I aiming to lower my hassle level. 
"Hey, did you know smoking was bad for you?"  Yes.  Yes, I do. 
"You should really quit smoking."  Should I?  Really?  You should stop wasting my air.

4.  I won't smell like smoke?  I honestly don't know if that's a negative or a positive.

5.  Obviously, I'll just be better then you.

This will certainly end in tragedy, but then again what doesn't?  Just like something will end up giving me cancer eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment